Friday, October 7, 2011

Many selves

Maybe we are not one self. We are infinite selves separated by seconds, emotions, desires and actions. The self typing this different from the self who was enjoying a TV show just now or who was reading a book earlier. All of these selves are different from the one cooking or working.

We aspire to be a different kind of self. I have an image of myself created in my mind - what I want to be what I want to achieve.

Realizing these different selves is important to stop the blaming and guilt of lost opportnunities,to understand what goes on in my unmotivated state, why I lose opportunities when I do.

What if I convince my other selves to co-operate with each other to work towards becoming the one desired self.

What if I tell myself that the reason I don't feel like getting up early and going for a run is because the self who went to sleep last night planning and assuring himself that I'd do these things, is different from the self who is feeling comfortable in the warm bed. I must understand that because they are different they will need different kinds and degrees of motivation, and more energy in total will be spent to persuade, since the morning self will not agree with the night self.

I can be mindful of the selves and address them one by one till they agree to help me reach the desired self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are very welcome and I look forward to them eagerly. Just be mindful of being civil. This is a good book about the same in case you are interested:
Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct - P.M.Forni