Monday, August 8, 2016

A Brief Lesson in Humility

Years ago as a kid when I made lemonade, I loved squeezing the cut lemon halves with my hands. We had one of those lemon squeezers that look like two arms of medieval catapults joined with a hinge at the concave ends. The squeezer would get a lot of juice out, but not all of it. I enjoyed the challenge of pinching and pressing the seemingly dry lemon halves till I got a few more drops of juice out of them. Part of the enthusiasm was to demonstrate my 'strength' (such as it was), and part of it was pride at not having wasted any of the lovely fragrant lemon juice. I'd press and squeeze it till my forearms and palms hurt. As I would display the now completely dry (to my eyes) lemon halves to my mother, she would pick one up and give it a nonchalant squeeze. A brief lesson in humility would then drip down steadily into the glass.

I'm older now but I'm pretty sure I still can't defeat her in getting all of the lemon juice out with my hands. A lifetime's worth of grinding, chopping, squeezing, pressing, kneading in the kitchen can always defeat mechanical strength training in the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are very welcome and I look forward to them eagerly. Just be mindful of being civil. This is a good book about the same in case you are interested:
Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct - P.M.Forni