Thursday, July 19, 2012

Minimalism meets Zen

I used to get annoyed, even feel somewhat cheated, on reading Leo Babauta's posts. Actually, when I first discovered his blog I liked his writing and ideas a lot. Then, over a period of time, the repetitive ideas started jarring. I mean how often can you keep writing the same stuff day after day...focus, zen, minimalism, veganism, going against a culture of materialistic consumerism..

Strangely however, now I've started relying on that repetition of ideas. The blog posts are becoming a kind of anchor, something to remind me of what worked. It brings my straying mind back to what I need to focus on. If you look at it that way, this is kind of an episodic prolonged meditation!

The Simplify post worked for me this way. There are no new ideas in it. But it provides a reminder and a summary of many similarly themed ideas he has written about in the past. Briefly,

1) Block off some disconnected time
2) Start eliminating commitments. (eliminating is the key word, not doing. Things can be done or gotten rid of by saying no.)
3) Start purging possessions. (Glad to say I've been doing this more and more frequently)
4) Ban shopping for 30 days
5) Wash your bowl. (check)
6) Schedule time for what's important. (Am dismal here)
7) Eat some plants (check)
8) Drink green tea. I've found it's taste horrible. But then I got it from a tea-coffee making machine. Maybe I could try out making some at home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are very welcome and I look forward to them eagerly. Just be mindful of being civil. This is a good book about the same in case you are interested:
Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct - P.M.Forni