Monday, November 26, 2012

A Tale of Legendary Libido

Currently watching one of the most funky and weird sex comedies I've seen till now. 'A Tale of Legendary Libido' is a Korean movie and as Korean comedies go,  this one doesn't disappoint. There are tons of moments that leave you wondering -did I just really see that? - and then wishing you hadn't (well, sometimes you do wish to see stuff again. Some women in the movie are, not to put too fine a point on it, smouldering).

The story is about this nice, innocent, thug-punching guy who has problems getting things to work down there, in a village ruled by women. And the women don't exactly make life easy for him (some pretty brutal bullying happens). He gets this magic potion which overcompensates for his past impotence and co-incidentally, all the men in the village are drafted and away for a war. So he's now this virile young man in a village minus its men but full of women who know what they want and will do anything to get it. You get the idea.

So far there have been scenes of a woman discovering a magic dildo, naked people performing synchronized swimming in the village pond, women singing and dancing happily after catching a glimpse of the biggest penis they've ever seen ("I've heard it's five inches." "That is just the head."),  a bunch of women almost raping a man, a scene where the protagonist's peeing puts out a wildfire and cools down the burning sun.....at one point you start wondering whether it's the director who's smoking some great weed or you. I had to pause the movie where the village bartendress (new word!) is seducing the guy with lines like "I've ridden more men than there is hair on your head".

I mean there's only so much you can take in one sitting.  No pun intended.

After Gangnam Style and this movie, Korea suddenly seems like an interesting destination.

Watch this space for an extended review of this fascinating piece of art.

5 comments:

  1. My first reaction after reading it was what the what?! Haha!
    Oh god, now I think I'll never ever watch a Korean movie (I don't know why, even really being interested in different cultures, I never was interested in anything from there - or nothing ever was appealing to me...) And I wonder what did you mean by
    "After Gangnam Style and this movie, Korea suddenly seems like an interesting destination."
    I shouldn't be prejudiced about it, but I can't help myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah it is quite a piece of work. The interesting part is,even with the B grade storyline and the weird scenes, the film 'looks' good..I guess the technical term is 'production values'. Basically it doesn't come across as something made shoddily. The funny bits are performed in an ironical manner though of course some of the scenes are obviously made for titillation. At no point (as yet) does the movie become vulgar.

      I do find Korea interesting still, all the more so because of their movies (especially the good ones in the mafia and horror genre). Obviously, we shouldn't generalize about people from a few samples like these. I'm interested in their history and culture perhaps because of its similarity to India - the partition of their country, a heritage going back millenia, their rapid growth, the affinity to technology,even their sitcoms and talent shows. And of course, some women in both countries are very beautiful :)

      Delete
  2. Of course, not generalizing. I have respect for it. I am just not that interested and acquainted with it. I know more about Japan and I am getting to learn more about India. I am already in love with their (or should I say "yours") music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Do you listen to the hindi music from the movies?

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched any movie yet. But I enjoy and recommend all the songs I've heard so far, from A. R. Rahman and others that Youtube randomly suggests me... Hehe! They are gold!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very welcome and I look forward to them eagerly. Just be mindful of being civil. This is a good book about the same in case you are interested:
Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct - P.M.Forni