Thursday, November 29, 2012

Guaranteed


So, I'm poetry-impaired. Mostly when I read a poem, in some book or on blogs, I have to be told its significance. It's often hard for me to differentiate the subtleties (often so-called, in my opinion) and I have to re-read even the simpler ones several times. And I still don't get them.

Even so, there are tons of songs and lyrics I like. But there are just a handful of songs that really create that feeling of understanding the first time I hear them. Powerful enough to be remembered and returned to again and again and even to be noted down. What usually happens is that I hear part of the song and there's this gut feeling that I'm going to like it. And then I end up searching for the song, listening to it again and again and reading up its history.

Guaranteed is one such song. I  heard only a part of it when I was watching 'Into the Wild'. And now it is one of my favorites, as is Eddie Vedder.




On bended knee is no way to be free
Lifting up an empty cup, I ask silently
All my destinations will accept the one that's me
So I can breathe...

Circles they grow and they swallow people whole
Half their lives they say goodnight to wives they'll never know
A mind full of questions, and a teacher in my soul
And so it goes...

Don't come closer or I'll have to go
Holding me like gravity are places that pull
If ever there was someone to keep me at home
It would be you...

Everyone I come across, in cages they bought
They think of me and my wandering, but I'm never what they thought
I've my indignation, but I'm pure in all my thoughts
I'm alive...

Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere
Underneath my being is a road that disappeared
Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead
Overhead...

Leave it to me as I find a way to be
Consider me a satellite, forever orbiting
I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me
Guaranteed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are very welcome and I look forward to them eagerly. Just be mindful of being civil. This is a good book about the same in case you are interested:
Choosing Civility: The Twenty-five Rules of Considerate Conduct - P.M.Forni